Data Science is successfully adding value to all the business models by using statistics and deep learning to make better decisions. A growing number of companies are now hiring data scientists to crunch data and predict possible situations and risk for businesses.
This online summer school is designed for undergraduate students studying IT, computing or any engineering degrees at a well-recognised university in China, with an interest in data science. Students will be introduced to the concept, develop an understanding of data science, hear from industry expert on data science applications and work in teams towards a technical project.
• Learn the concept of Data Science;
• Develop an understanding of data analysis, AI and visualization;
• Learn about data science products;
• Understand the real-world applications in data science and hear from industry expert;
• Get an insight into data science entrepreneurship and hear from an entrepreneur his journey in setting up a data science company;
• Gain an understanding of data privacy and ethics;
• Learn from research experts in data economy and block chain;
• Develop valuable professional skills in business model innovation, communication and presentation;
• Experience team-based learning through a technical data science project;
• Practice and improve their English language.
Students will be allocated in project teams to create a technical demonstration, developing a data science business, learning teamwork, building business models and engage with Imperial supervisors throughout the programme.
In addition, students will have an opportunity to meet student ambassadors from Imperial College London, sharing their experiences on what it is like to study in a world class university and to discuss opportunities for future study.
43 learning hours spread over 3 weeks covering live lectures, workshops, tutorials, project work and self-study time.
Project work will be done through team-based learning with supervision. Final project will be presented in groups to a panel of experts on the last day of the programme. A prize will be awarded to the team presented with the best project.
The programme will be delivered over Microsoft Teams. Online project channels will be allocated to each team for project work and tutorials. Students will be able to use the channel at any time to work on their project.
Live classes of between 1.5 to 2 hours duration will be delivered on weekdays over a three-week period. Some days will have an additional one hour live tutorial session with a project supervisor. All classes will be delivered between 08:30 to 10:30 UK time / 15:30 to 17:30 China time.
The entire programme will be taught in English.
Students will receive a verified Imperial College London digital certificate on successful completion of the summer school and a prize will be awarded to the best project team. Each student will also receive a transcript for their project mark.
All students are expected to be studying an undergraduate degree in any engineering discipline, IT or computing degree at a well-recognised university in China.
All students are required to have a good command of English, and if it is not their first language, they will need to satisfy the College requirement as follows:
• A minimum score of IELTS (Academic Test) 6.5 overall or equivalent.
• TOEFL (iBT) 92 overall
• CET- 4 (China) minimum score of 550
• CET- 6 (China) minimum score of 520.
A Skype interview is required for the student who does not meet the English requirement.
Technical knowledge requirements:
As the project has a strong technical element, students are expected to have the following technical knowledge and interest:
• Interested in computer visualisation / natural language processing;
• Have at least intermediate level at one of the common programming language (Python, Java, C ++, etc.);
• Have mathematical foundation (probability theory, linear algebra, etc.);
• Have understanding of the Linux environment;
• Knowledge of Machine Learning knowledge with experience in using PyTorch / Tensorflow / Keras.
Students will need to have access to a computer pre-installed with python, have a webcam, microphone and good internet connection to attend the live classes.
We are pleased to present this programme from the selected universities. For further information or to discuss the proposal, please contact:
• Pei (Patch) Huang : email@example.com
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org